Re: Democracy in Debian

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > I didn't see such a specific DPL power in the constitution. Would it
> > > fall under the general phrasing of 5.1.4?
> >         I would think so. That is a general catch all.
>
> Really, for public votes, just about anyone could reasonably request
> the information necessary to do an audit if they thought it was that
> important -- it's only for DPL votes that there's any point keeping
> any of the information secret.

Indeed; in fact if this is really a big deal it may be useful to just
make the mailbox acessible[1] after the fact for the non-DPL
elections.

> I guess the decryption key for encrypted ballots would be of some
> issue, but that's about it.

Presumably the decryption key could be unlocked after the election and
placed alongside the balots; since it should expire and be revoked
after the completion of the vote, this shouldn't pose much of a
problem.

Don Armstrong

1: I'm always one for drowning budding conspiracy theorists in mounds
of data, though.
--
America was far better suited to be the World's Movie Star. The
world's tequila-addled pro-league bowler. The world's acerbic bi-polar