Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 11:28:16AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Perhaps retitle it to
> 	Why the current version of the GNU Free Documentation License is
> 	not suitable for Debian main

"Why the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2 is not suitable for Debian main"
is shorter; adding "This document refers to version 1.2 of the GFDL." or similar
in the beginning could work too.

> > The GFDL conflicts with traditional requirements for free software in
> > a variety of ways, some of which are expanded upon below. As a copyleft
> > license, one of the consequences of this is that it is not possible to
> > include content from a documention directly into free software under
>
> Not sure here (not a native English speaker), but can you say "from a
> documentation"? Shouldn't that be either "from documentation" or "from a
> piece of documentation"?

Or "from documentation" or "from a document", yeah.

> > I've put the above draft on the wiki [3] so people can tweak it.
> I don't think that's a good idea. There's a fairly strict procedure for
> GR proposals, with amendments et al. You shouldn't try to work around
> that.

The wiki doesn't work around it -- all GR stuff has to go via -vote
or it's irrelevant for procedural purposes; it just means other people
can put their changes in directly and the software'll generate pretty
colourised diffs automatically.

I presume more substantive changes (and hence new seconds) will be needed
anyway, fwiw.

Cheers,
aj