Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement

No substantive changes suggested, merely matters of style....

[Anthony Towns]
> (0) Summary
>
> Within the Debian community there has been a significant amount of
> concern about the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), and whether
> it is, in fact, a "free" license. This document attempts to explain
> why Debian's answer is "no".

As Russ said, it's best to clarify here that you mean the GFDL 1.2.

> license, one of the consequences of this is that it is not possible to
> include content from a documention directly into

"a documention"?  Perhaps "...from documentation".

> that, once included, may not be modified or removed from the documentation
> in future.

"in the future", clearer.

> suitable for editing). In particular, Section 3 of the GFDL requires
> that a transparent copy of the documentation be included with every
> opaque copy distributed, or that a transparent copy is made available

Subjunctive police - "copy be made available".  You got it right
earlier in the same sentence. (:

> In practice, then, documentation simply isn't different enough to
> warrant different standards: we still wish to provide source code in

"different standards of freedoms we expect for our users" - that is, I
think this point is strong enough to be worth stating more forcefully.
This seems to be the one major issue that separates Debian from the
FSF: I believe they already concede that the GFDL is not a free
*software* license.  It also seems to be the point most often contested
in the GFDL debates.  (Well, alongside the perennially popular non-
argument, "What?!?  You dare call a FSF license non-free?  Heresy!")

> An easy first step is to not include the optional invariant sections in
> your documentation, since they are not required by the license, but are
> simply an option open to authors.

Probably should enumerate the types of invariant sections here - cover
texts in particular, and maybe dedications too.  (Are those considered
bad? since they are removable.)

> I've put the above draft on the wiki [3] so people can tweak it.
> [3] http://wiki.debian.org/GFDLPositionStatement

Since this has already been seconded as-is here, I thought it best to
comment here instead of making random unauthorised edits to a wiki.

Even so, I'd second this if I were a Debian developer.  Thanks for the
GR, AJ,

Peter