Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 08:09:23PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
> > in this particular case, the GR was proposed with a misleading title
> > (it was NOT a simple "editorial" change, it was a radical change to
> > the meaning of the Social Contract which will ultimately result in
> > the death by irrelevance of debian) and effectively got through by
> > stealth.
> I see.  Hrm.  It's curious that you never raised this objection during
> the process.

Mmm. That's what happens when you don't fully explore and explain the
consequences of a change.

> Nor was this half the number that usually votes.  The last DPL
> election and GR were extraordinary;

No, they weren't. The DPL vote was pretty ordinary, and the non-free GR was
likewise pretty ordinary for a vote that people find relevant.

> > in any case, it has already been established that the GR had serious
> > problems - there is an existing proposal concerning it.
> I believe that any serious problem here is one that the release
> manager created.

It gets pretty boring repeating myself all the time, but, again, I'm not
willing to accept the blame for this. This was not my proposal, I didn't
support its passage, and I'm not only not alone in my interpretation of
the Social Contract's present requirements, but no one has come up with
any alternatives. That you're trying to make this out to be my fault is
inappropriate and offensive.

In any case, if you truly believe this is a problem, then you should
explain why you voted for the interpretation of the social contract that
created this problem, how you were unaware the resolution would cause the
problem in spite of your involvement in discussions about this issue,
or how you believe the problem could be avoided without breaking the
social contract that you agreed to abide by when you joined Debian.

> I'm happy to address it.

Those questions aren't interesting because they might make people think
all this is your fault, they're interesting because they help explain
what we can and should do about this.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.

Protect Open Source in Australia from over-reaching changes to IP law
http://www.petitiononline.com/auftaip/ & http://www.linux.org.au/fta/