Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 05:19:08PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > i propose an amendment that deletes everything but clause 1 of this proposal,
> > so that the entire proposal now reads:
> >
> >    that the amendments to the Social Contract contained within the
> >    General Resolution "Editorial Amendments To The Social Contract"
> >    (2004 vote 003) be immediately rescinded.
>
> I think that once a GR has passed, people should shut up about
> opposing it, and not continue to fight about it long after.

in this particular case, the GR was proposed with a misleading title (it was
NOT a simple "editorial" change, it was a radical change to the meaning of the
Social Contract which will ultimately result in the death by irrelevance of
debian) and effectively got through by stealth.  very few actually voted,
roughly half the number that normally votes.  of those who did vote for it,
several have already commented that they wouldn't have done so if they had
realised the effect it would have.

in any case, it has already been established that the GR had serious problems -
there is an existing proposal concerning it.  i am just suggesting an
alternative option to that proposal.  if you're not whining about Steve's
proposal, then why are you whining about my amendment?  is there some reason
why Steve is allowed to make proposals but I am not?

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

The next time you vote, remember that "Regime change begins at home"