Re: Chad's comments (was Re: For M.J. Ray 1 of 3 -- changes from current social contract)

On Jan 22, 2004, at 11:41, Raul Miller wrote:

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:23:42AM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
"but not all" is extraneous fluff.

In my opinion, it emphasizes the idea that we expect main to fill the
needs of many users. This is important because of the current controversy
over non-free.

"some, but not all" does not do that. It just defines "some" in the middle of the sentence.

I was very tempted to say "but not most", instead of "but not all",
but I didn't have a basis for saying that.

"some, but not most" can be shortened to "a few"

	New: We acknowledge that some of our users require software that
	do not conform with the DFSG.

But it's not the software they require, it's what the software does for
them that they require.

We acknowledge that some of our users require functionality currently only provided by software that does not conform with the DFSG.

Change "some of" to "a few of" or strike "only" in "currently only" to taste. I think this sentence fits in well with the goal of finding/creating free replacements.