For M.J. Ray 1 of 3 -- changes from current social contract

This is a description of the changes my proposal would introduce
to the current social contract.

Comparison of my proposal with the current social contract:

Section 1.

    Title -- changed capitalization to correspond with
    Andrew Suffield's proposed editorial changes

    First sentence -- got rid of Linux dependency (to allow
    for Hurd and BSD distributions).  Old statement was somewhat
    non-grammatical and didn't really state what debian was about,
    so I fleshed out the description of Debian.

    In the process, I changed the nature of the statement from a
    promise to statement of purpose.  In my opinion, a promise implies
    that we might have a conflicting agenda but we're constraining
    ourselves because of this agreement.  In my opinion, a statement
    of purpose is much more pervasive and fundamental.

	Old:  We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution
	entirely free software.

	New:  Debian exists to distribute a general purpose system
	composed of entirely free software.

    Second sentence -- rephrased it to comply with the recent
    constitutional amendment [where DFSG is a separate document
    from the social contract).

	Old:  As there are many definitions of free software, we include
	the guidelines we use to determine if software is "free" below.

	New: As there are many definitions of free software, we use
	the "Debian Free Software Guidelines" to determine if software
	is free.

    Third sentence -- added free software to this statement of support.
    I think this is important as a part of keeping non-free software
    in perspective.

	Old: We will support our users who develop and run non-free
	software on Debian, but we will never make the system depend on
	an item of non-free software.

	New: We will also support our users who develop and run other
	software on Debian -- free or non-free -- but we will never make
	the system depend on non-free software.

Sections 2, 3 and 4.

    My proposed changes here are identical to those in Andrew Suffield's
    editorial changes draft.

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200401/msg01526.html

    These are simple cleanups which should not change the meaning of
    the social contract.  I think they're a good idea, and so have
    incorporated them.

Section 5.

    Title -- Changed capitalization to conform to style in Andrew
    Suffield's editorial changes draft.  Also, replaced the word
    "Programs" with "Software" to make the association with the DFSG
    more transparent.  Since the DFSG is no longer a part of the same
    document as the social contract, I think it's important to rephrase,
    where possible, to make their association obvious.

	Old:  5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

	Mew:  5. Software that doesn't meet our free-software standards

    Sentence 1 -- added a statement that not all of our users depend
    on non-free software.  This is a part of keeping the non-free
    distribution in perspective.

	Old:  We acknowledge that some of our users require the use
	of programs that don't conform to the Debian Free Software
	Guidelines.

	New:  We acknowledge that some, but not all, of our users require
	the use of software which does not conform to the Debian Free
	Software Guidelines.

    Sentence 2 -- expanded on it, indicating the purpose of the
    non-free archive.  Also replaced "FTP" with the more generic
    term "internet" (to include support for other protocols, such
    as HTTP).

	Old:  We have created "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our
	FTP archive for this software.

	New:  In order to accommodate these users, we have created
	"contrib" and "non-free" areas in our internet archive.

    Sentence 3/4 (old) 3 (new) -- I eliminated the phrase "is not part
    of the Debian system".  I believe that the purpose of this phrase was
    to keep non-free in perspective.  However, since "the Debian system"
    isn't defined, there are a number of ambiguous interpretations of
    this phrase, including some people thinking Debian shouldn't support
    that software at all.

    Also, I added an explicit statement that the software we distribute in
    "non-free" must satisfy at least some of our guidelines.

    Also, I've incorporated the cautionary statement which was sentence 4
    of the old contract, but I've made it generic where the old statement
    was specific to CD manufacturers.

    This is probably the most important change in my proposal -- all
    other changes are intended to reinforce this changed statement.
    It's important to point out that even our non-free software is
    in some sense of the word free software.  It's important to point
    out at least some of the weaknesses of non-free software.

	Old:  The software in these directories is not part of the
	Debian system, although it has been configured for use with
	Debian. We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of
	software packages in these directories and determine if they
	can distribute that software on their CDs.

	New:  The software in "non-free" satisfies some, but not all,
	of our guidelines and we do not guarantee all software in the
	non-free area may be distributed in other ways.

    Sentence 5 (old) 4 (new) -- the last sentence in the old social
    contract seemed to be almost apologetic.  It was an attempt to
    show that we offer support for non-free software, but it focussed
    on the packages we distribute which represent a tiny fraction of
    all non-free software.  I've replaced that with a statement which
    indicates our support of a couple classes of standards which are
    relevant to users of non-free software.  These standards did not
    exist when the social contract was written, but I think mentioning
    support of them is better than trying to pretend that our few
    package in non-free represent all of our support for non-free
    software.  As an added bonus, these standards are also of some
    benefit to free software.

	Old:  Thus, although non-free software isn't a part of Debian,
	we support its use, and we provide infrastructure (such as our
	bug-tracking system and mailing lists) for non-free software
	packages.

	New:  For those who need to run software we do not distribute,
	free or non-free, we support worthy application binary interface
	standards and namespace management standards.

    Sentence 5 (new) -- The old social contract didn't really say
    anything in support of moving users from non-free software to using
    free software.  So I added a sentence describing our support for this
    kind of activity.  As an added bonus, this sentence indicates our
    support for users of free software who do not use non-free software
    directly but who must work with others who do.

	 New:  Additionally, we will work to find, package and support
	 free alternatives to non-free software so people who use only
	 free software can work with users of non-free software.