Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 20:53:40 -0800, Benj Mako Hill <mako@debian.org> said:

> The archive admins still need to answer to the project. If they
> weren't barred from removing non-free right away (which may or may
> not be case with the proposed GR, I don't claim to know) and went
> ahead anyway they would either need to be ignorant of the immensely
> controversial nature of removing non-free or simply not care. In
> either (IMHO) unlikely case, their decision could be overruled by
> the developers.

	The draft so far adds no such proscription for the admins
 (indeed, the whole point is to remove such a proscription).

> I think it's a little far-fetched to claim that they would move
> ahead with something so clearly controversial, public, and central
> in Debian's history without a mandate.

	What do you mean, without a mandate?  If the GR passes with a
 landslide, woudn't that be a mandate?

>> If this proposal passes, wouldn't it be a mandate to also remove
>> non-free, and the admins shall be acting in accordance with the
>> wishes of the developers?

> Branden's justification makes it *explicitly* clear that this is not
> the case. I don't see how anyone could see that as a mandate as its
> worded and justified in a way that explicitly claims that this is
> not the case.

	I don't see that in the GR.  And branden's intent is
 irrelevant; if the project unanimously choses to drop section 5 from
 the sc, at least I would consider it as a clear indication of a
 mandate.

	manoj
--
No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness. Aristotle