Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 15:41:15 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:31:58PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:16:54 -0500, Branden Robinson
>> <branden@debian.org> said:
>>
>> > No, you're wrong.  The mechanism for achieving large-scale
>> > archive changes isn't presently formally defined at all.
>> > Informally, it appears to be the exclusive domain of the Debian
>> > Archive Administrators (who, the last time I checked, were not
>> > official delegates of the Debian Project Leader[1]).
>>
>> > [1] The last time I asked, I got no answer.  It's possible the
>> > DPL
>> >     made a delegation without announcing it to
>> >     debian-devel-announce.
>>
>> So, the proscription in the SC is the only thing that stands
>> between an admins whim to remove non-free?

> I think it's the only formal or structural impediment, yes.  But

	In which case this needs to be pointed out; since this is
 likely to be the last chance that the mere mortal developers have of
 having any say in the process of elimination of non free.

> there are other considerations which, I suspect, weigh more
> strongly:

> 1) We may have archive admins who don't deliberately attempt to make
>    decisions out of proportion to their authority;

	Is it beyond their authority?

> 2) We may have archive admins who feel a responsibility to the
>    wishes of the rest of the Project;

	If this proposal passes, wouldn't it be a mandate to also
 remove non-free, and the admins shall be acting in accordance with
 the wishes of the developers?

> 3) We may have archive admins who fear that their positions will be
>    formalized, and their powers circumscribed, if they abuse their
>    authority -- and the Golden Age would come to an end.

> These are, however, purely speculative on my part.

	Quite. However, I think that your usual hyperbole may work
 against you, since it seems that if your characterization of our
 current situation (re golden age) is true, then your proposal must
 needs be inextricably intertwined with the act of removinf non
 free. Hmm. I must rethink my initial reaction.

	manoj
--
If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no
meaning. Aristotle Onassis