Re: GRs, irrelevant amendments, and insincere voting

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 01:10:51PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 04:04:05PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > 	Does Branden's pass the supermajority clause? If not, it presumably
> > 	wouldn't if reasked anyway, and it fails.
> If it does, and is reasked, what's to stop a group of 6 people[1] from
> proposing an "amendment" that guts the original proposal down to nothing
               ^^^^^^^^^^^

What are the scare quotes for? Did we not already have this discussion?

> but uncontroversial cosmetic alterations?

Absolutely nothing. The question isn't how controversial the amendment is,
though, it's whether people prefer the amendment with just the cosmetic
alterations to the original proposal.

> The only real way out of this, it seems, is to advocate insincere
> voting.  ("Please rank Mr. A's editorial-only amendments below 'further
> discussion' even if you like them, because the whole purpose of this
> ballot is to decide whether we're accepting or rejecting *substantive*
> amendments to the Social Contract".)

No, that's completely wrong.

If you have the options:

	[a] Remove non-free clause, editorial changes
	[b] Don't change the social contract, support non-free more!
	[c] Further Discussion

Then the winner is elected by checking:

	Does a defeats c by more than 3:1?
	Does b defeat c?

	If one or both of these don't happen, the winner is obvious (if a
	fails, but b doesn't; it's b; if b fails but a doesn't, it's a; if
	both do, it's c)

	Does a defeat b?

The only reason to vote insincerely is if you suspect that the outcome will
be:

	B defeats A
	A defeats C
	B defeats C by N+K:N

and you can convince at least K people to swap their preferences for B and
C, and that given the choice between your proposal and the alternative,
most people prefer the alternative.

And I know we've already had this discussion. Are you going to be
spreading FUD about every resolution that passes that you don't like?

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda