RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

[Please direct followups to debian-vote.]

Now that the vote over the meaning of clause 4.1.5 of the Debian
Constitution is drawing to a close, the time is ripe to clear the last
bit of pending business from the discussions of the summer of 2000.

My proposal to amend the Debian Social Contract follows.  You can find
the text of the existing Debian Social Contract at <URL:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract > or on your Debian system in the
file /usr/share/doc/debian/social-contract.txt if you have the
doc-debian package installed.

"Social Contract" with the Free Software Community {+[PROPOSED DRAFT
FOR AMENDMENT; NOT OFFICIAL]+}

  1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free [-Software-]

     We promise to [-keep the-] {+preserve your right to freely use,
     modify, and distribute+} Debian [-GNU/Linux Distribution entirely
     free software. As there are many definitions of free software, we-]
     {+operating system distributions.  We+} include the guidelines we use
     to determine if [-software-] {+a work+} is "free" [-below.-] {+in
     a document called the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  Every work
     contained in our distributions will satisfy those guidelines.+}
     We will support our users who develop and run non-free software
     on Debian, but we will never make the system depend on an item of
     non-free software.

  2. We Will Give Back to the Free Software Community

     When we write new components of the Debian system, we will license
     them as [-free software.-] {+freely in a manner consistent with the
     Debian Free Software Guidelines.+}  We will make the best system
     we can, so that free software {+and other works+} will be widely
     distributed and used.  We will [-feed back bug-fixes,-] {+communicate
     bug fixes,+} improvements, user requests, etc. to the "upstream"
     authors of software {+and other works+} included in our system.

  3. We [-Won't-] {+Will Not+} Hide Problems

     We will keep our entire [-bug-report-] {+bug report+} database open
     for public view at all times.  Reports that users file [-on-line-]
     {+online+} will [-immediately-] {+promptly+} become visible to
     [-others.-] {+others without requiring manual approval.  Project
     discussions will be held in forums open to public participation
     except where absolutely necessary.  We are committed to transparency
     and accountability in our decision-making processes.+}

  4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software

     We will be guided by the needs of our users and the [-free-software-]
     {+free software+} community.  We will place their interests
     first in our priorities.  We will support the needs of our users
     for operation in many different kinds of computing environment.
     We [-won't-] {+will not+} object to commercial software that is
     intended to run on Debian systems, and [-we'll-] {+we will+} allow
     others to create value-added distributions containing both Debian
     and commercial software, without any fee from us. [-To support-]
     {+In furtherance of+} these goals, we will provide an integrated
     system of [-high-quality, 100% free software,-] {+high-quality works
     of software and other materials+} with no legal restrictions that
     would prevent these [-kinds of use.

  5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

     We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs
     that don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We
     have created "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our FTP archive for
     this software.  The software in these directories is not part of
     the Debian system, although it has been configured for use with
     Debian. We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of
     software packages in these directories and determine if they can
     distribute that software on their CDs. Thus, although non-free
     software isn't a part-] {+uses+} of [-Debian, we support its use,
     and we provide infrastructure (such as-] our [-bug-tracking-]
     {+operating+} system [-and mailing lists) for non-free software
     packages.-] {+distributions.+}

[N.B.: wdiff produced possibly confusing output.  If you look carefully,
you will see that clause 5 has been stricken entirely.]

Some of my amendments are semantic; that is, they change the meaning of
the Social Contract, whereas others are editorial; that is, they change
the wording of the Social Contract in an effort to convey the intended
meaning (as I understand it) in a clearer way.

Rationales for amendments:

1) I felt it was important and useful to elaborate upon some of the core
   freedoms we mean when talking about "free software" (or free
   documentation, free images, etc.): those are the freedoms to use,
   modify, and/or distribute the work in question.

2) Debian has been, and is increasingly, more than just a GNU/Linux
   distribution.  We produce multiple operating systems, and it does not
   stand to reason that our GNU/Linux distribution will be the only one
   worthy of a stable release forever.  I have thus generalized the
   language to "Debian operating system distributions" instead of
   "Debian GNU/Linux Distribution".

3) The DFSG is, in my opinion, a separate work from the Social Contract,
   and has a different scope.  I have tweaked the wording of SC #1 so
   that people don't always expect to find the text of the DFSG "below".
   I do not seek to stop us from distributing the documents together,
   however, and this proposal has no bearing on such a decision.

4) This proposal expands the language of our committment to freedom
   beyond just "software".  This proposal does not call for a renaming
   of the DFSG, however, nor for the creation of another document to
   provide guidelines for "non-software" works.

5) "feed back bug-fixes" felt like an awkward construction to me.  This
   is an editorial, not a semantic, change.

6) I expanded the contractions "we'll" to "we will" and "won't" to "will
   not"; another editorial change.

7) The GCIDE prefers "online" to "on-line", and so do I; this is an
   editorial change.

8) We cannot literally commit to bug reports becoming publicly visible
   "immediately".  We can commit to "promptly", however, and explicitly
   spell out what was left implicit in the origianl Social Contract: we
   will not have a staff of gatekeepers deciding which bug reports get
   to be seen by the public, as practically all commercial software
   interests do.

9) I have expanded the premise of SC #3 to cover grounds other than just
   the BTS and technical problems in our products.  Back in 1998, a lot
   of non-technical discussions took place on -private (such as the
   discussion of the Social Contract itself), but Debian has evolved
   away from that, and nowadays traffic on -private is far more
   restricted.  I propose amending SC #3 to reflect this evolution, and
   our need for greater transparency in accountability so that our
   Project works better not just for the sake of the Free Software
   community, but for our own developers, who are far more numerous now
   than they were in 1998.  Our committment to the principles in my
   proposed clause 3 will help us ensure that we scale to meet the
   demands placed on us by our larger (and still increasing) size.

10) I propose "free software community" instead of "free-software
    community"; an editorial change.  The concept of "free software" has
    gained currency over the past 5 years as the GNU/Linux has increased
    its profile, and I think we can afford to refer to it as such in our
    Social Contract without confusing too many people.

11) I changed "To support the goals" to "In furtherance of these goals";
    an editorial change that implies (to me, anyway) more forceful and
    directed action.

12) In both clause 1 and clause 5, I have replaced the phrase "100% free
    software" with other constructions that are, hopefully, less
    ambiguous, especially to those who must translate the Social
    Contract into other languages.  (This is not a made-up problem; it
    was brought to the attention of the debian-legal list earlier this
    year.)

13) Clause 5 has been stricken entirely.  *This amendment does NOT
    mandate the removal of the non-free section from anything,
    anywhere.*  What it does do is withdraw our commitment to provide a
    "non-free section" via a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) archive
    specifically.  This makes it possible for us to decide, in the near
    or distant future, to stop distributing the non-free section without
    violating our own Social Contract.

I am seeking seconds and editorial amendments to this proposed General
Resolution.

The full texts of the existing Social Contract as it stands, and as it
would appear if the above amendments were accepted, are MIME-attached.
(The draft also include a prominent notice of its unofficial status,
too, of course, so that no one is confused.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You don't just decide to break
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Kubrick's code of silence and then
"Social Contract" with the Free Software Community

  1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software

     We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free
     software. As there are many definitions of free software, we include
     the guidelines we use to determine if software is "free" below. We will
     support our users who develop and run non-free software on Debian, but
     we will never make the system depend on an item of non-free software.

  2. We Will Give Back to the Free Software Community

     When we write new components of the Debian system, we will license them
     as free software. We will make the best system we can, so that free
     software will be widely distributed and used. We will feed back
     bug-fixes, improvements, user requests, etc. to the "upstream" authors
     of software included in our system.

  3. We Won't Hide Problems

     We will keep our entire bug-report database open for public view at all
     times. Reports that users file on-line will immediately become visible
     to others.

  4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software

     We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
     community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. We
     will support the needs of our users for operation in many different
     kinds of computing environment. We won't object to commercial software
     that is intended to run on Debian systems, and we'll allow others to
     create value-added distributions containing both Debian and commercial
     software, without any fee from us. To support these goals, we will
     provide an integrated system of high-quality, 100% free software, with
     no legal restrictions that would prevent these kinds of use.

  5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

     We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs that
     don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created
     "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our FTP archive for this software.
     The software in these directories is not part of the Debian system,
     although it has been configured for use with Debian. We encourage CD
     manufacturers to read the licenses of software packages in these
     directories and determine if they can distribute that software on their
     CDs. Thus, although non-free software isn't a part of Debian, we
     support its use, and we provide infrastructure (such as our
     bug-tracking system and mailing lists) for non-free software packages.
"Social Contract" with the Free Software Community
[PROPOSED DRAFT FOR AMENDMENT; NOT OFFICIAL]

  1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free

     We promise to preserve your right to freely use, modify, and
     distribute Debian operating system distributions.  We include the
     guidelines we use to determine if a work is "free" in a document
     called the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  Every work contained in
     our distributions will satisfy those guidelines.  We will support our
     users who develop and run non-free software on Debian, but we will
     never make the system depend on an item of non-free software.

  2. We Will Give Back to the Free Software Community

     When we write new components of the Debian system, we will license
     them as freely in a manner consistent with the Debian Free Software
     Guidelines.  We will make the best system we can, so that free
     software and other works will be widely distributed and used.  We will
     communicate bug fixes, improvements, user requests, etc. to the
     "upstream" authors of software and other works included in our system.

  3. We Will Not Hide Problems

     We will keep our entire bug report database open for public view at all
     times.  Reports that users file online will promptly become visible
     to others without requiring manual approval.  Project discussions will
     be held in forums open to public participation except where absolutely
     necessary.  We are committed to transparency and accountability in our
     decision-making processes.

  4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software

     We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free software
     community.  We will place their interests first in our priorities.  We
     will support the needs of our users for operation in many different
     kinds of computing environment.  We will not object to commercial software
     that is intended to run on Debian systems, and we will allow others to
     create value-added distributions containing both Debian and commercial
     software, without any fee from us.  In furtherance of these goals, we
     will provide an integrated system of high-quality works of software
     and other materials with no legal restrictions that would prevent
     these uses of our operating system distributions.