Re: Call for votes for the Condorcet/Clone proot SSD voting methodsGR

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:25:20AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:58:59 +1000, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> said:
> > To be honest I wonder if this GR is only going to pass because of
> > indifference. I wonder how many developers have actually read
> > through the GR and understand it. I'm amazed at how little
> > explanation there has been aimed at the non-voting geeks.

Actually, this was unfair. Buddha Buck's post that you mentioned in the
final CFV was very useful. (Thanks!)

> 	I am pretty sure I do not want people who can't even spend a
>  modicum of effort to learn about the issues at hand to have any
>  influence on how things are done -- we are supposed to be the

How much effort do you consider reasonable? Do you want me to read the
whole discussion of the last year? Not that interested, sorry. Frankly
all I wanted was to be involved in an important Debian decision,
and couldn't find readily accessible information until I asked for it.
(Accessible meaning concise, not just easy to find at lists.d.o.)

It seems that you think anyone who hasn't followed the discussion for
the past year doesn't deserve a vote.

> 	Honestly, this seems like yet another instance of the gen-x
>  trends to wear ones ignorance as a badge of honor. "heh heh. my math
>  is so bad, I can't even add two numbers in my head" -- and then go
>  off feeling the camaraderie that stems from a shared gross ignorance.

I don't know why you're trying to insult me here. It's not working,
since you don't even know me.

>  informed on a subject (voting geek indeed).

Nor did I intend to insult you. I thought this term had been used on
debian-vote before. I found
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2003/debian-vote-200305/msg00084.html
(from Aj less than a month ago) for example.

I guess my comments had some effect given that you added that URL to the
final CFV.

Hamish