Re: current A.6 draft [examples]

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:56:01AM +1100, Clinton Mead wrote:
> Firstly, I mistakenly defined the strength of defeats in my last
> definition, so I've changed rule (3) to match my implimentation.
> Strength is now measured by how many votes prefer A over B.

Ok.  I've actually not taken the time to fully study the subtlties of
your proposal yet.  Because they're not the most significant aspect of
your proposal, and because I'm trying to squeeze in time to write up a
fuller draft of my own.

> Consider this slightly different vote, under the A.6 draft method, that
> doesn't produce a tie.
>
> A requires 3:1 supermajority, D default.
> 4 ABD
> 1 ADB
> 1 BDA
> 1 DAB
> D has won, despite being ranked last on a majority of votes.

Yes: the election has been defaulted because of the underlying conflict
between the "preferred" options.

> Democratic Axiom - "If a method does not pass one of the following
> axioms, then the method is undemocratic"

By definition, eh?  I hope you don't mind if I quibble with your axioms.

> Majority Wins Axiom - "In a non-supermajority election, if is an option
> A solely ranked first on a majority of votes, then if option A must win."

Unless the election defaults (for example: maybe it doesn't meet quorum
requirements).

> Minority Loses Axiom - "In a non-supermajority election, if there are
> options A and B, and option B is solely ranked last on a majority of
> votes, then if option B must not win."

Again: unless the election defaults.  That we make "default" an option
on the ballot doesn't magically mean that defaulting is no longer a
forbidden option just because it comes in last.

Default option winning means that we need to hold another election after
coming to a [hopefully] better understanding about what we're trying to
do (possibly with the some of the same items on the ballot as this time
around, but clearly the issue needs to be discussed some more).

> Proof that A.6 draft is undemocratic.

I'm ignoring your proof because you've left out something I consider to
be significant out of your axioms.  [see above.]

> Hope the above helps more than my previous ramblings.

It's better, yes.

However, fundamentally, the default option represents the lack of a
result.  I think I described this underlying concept reasonably well in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/debian-vote-200210/msg00075.html

--
Raul