Re: supermajority options

Hi,

Raul Miller:
> [1] The simplest: discard supermajority entirely.  Nothing special is
> required to override "important decisions".  This has some elegantly
> simple mathematical properties but I don't know of any other argument
> for it.

I don't think that's a good idea -- the concept of a supermajority
exists for a reason, after all.

> [2] Discard the election if the winner doesn't meet supermajority.
> Perhaps, if the ballot has nondefault options with differing supermajority
> ratios, immediately hold another election using only the options with
> a lesser supermajority ratio.  I'm leaning towards this at the moment.

If that yields any result different from ...

> [5] (Nov 16 and earlier drafts) Discard options which don't satisfy
> supermajority before considering transitive defeat.  This gets a bit
> confusing to think about in the context of transitive defeats.

then either somebody must have voted non-sincerely, or some option must
have been missing from the first ballot. Anyway, I don't think [5] is
confusing in any transitive-defeat context because there are actually
fewer defeats possible if we discard an option. ;-)

> [3] (current draft) Only consider supermajority in terms of defeating
> the default option.  This gets a bit confusing to think about in the
> context of transitive defeats.

See my earlier email -- this method favors the default option
unreasonably.

> [4] (my old hobby horse) Consider supermajority in every comparison
> involving an option with a supermajority requirement.  This gets a bit
> confusing to think about in the context of transitive defeats.

This method invites insincere voting. If the voter would like to vote ABD,
but thinks that B would be strong enough to block any supermajority by A,
they might vote ADB instead. Not good.

> Suggestion?  Comments?  Incoherent ramblings?

See above. ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/