Re: revised implementation of the new voting machinery draft

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 09:38:08AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 12:50:59PM +0100, Jochen Voss wrote:
> > 	    A    B    C    D    X
> >        A    -   27   24   29   29
> >        B   22    -   25   29   28
> >        C   25   24    -   30   32
> >        D   21   21   19    -   30
> >        X   21   22   18   18    -
> >     the Schwartz set is { A, B, C }
> >     proposition (A,C) is weakest -> eliminated
> >     proposition (B,C) is weakest -> eliminated
>
> Minor nit: it's (C,A) which is weakest, as (A,C) is not a proposition.
Why not?  To quote from your Nov 17 draft:

           Definition: A proposition is a pair of options with a
           non-zero preference (S,T) for at least one of the options.
           The proposition is a defeat for one of the options unless
           the preference (S,T) equals the preference (T,S).

Which part of this definition does not apply?

> > 	    A    B    C
> >        A    -   27    0
> >        B   22    -    0
> >        C    0    0    -
> >     the Schwartz set is { A, C }
>
> Hmm.. I forgot to eliminate options with no votes for them.
Be careful here: in this example my program agrees with Anthony
Towns implementation, both get a tie between A and C.  If we
eliminate options with no votes for them (C in this case) we
change the result: now the option A becomes the winner.

It may be possible, that we want that change.  But we should
know that this is a deviantion from our former implementation.
Maybe the electionmethods website can clarify this?

I hope this helps,
Jochen
--
                                         Omm