Re: Geez.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 02:15:52AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> >What would ever give you the idea that we try to avoid schisms?
> Obviously you don't.  :-)  *I* do, which is why I like approval voting.
> Still wondering how the voting system was picked.

It's the state of the art in election systems, with the best adherence
to certain well defined criteria. Although that doesn't actually answer
your question, I suppose.

Approval voting can be simulated by only allowing ballots to contain
1's and unmarked options; first past the post voting can be simulated by
allowing ballots to contain a single 1. Alternative voting, or instant
runoff, is fairly similar, but can be a little chaotic in its results.

Cheers,
aj