Re: Questions to Candidates

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 08:46:24PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I have not planned to relaunch this debate since I'm happy with
> the status-quo. However if some people really believe I'm wrong
> and go as far as launching a general resolution to propose the
> removal of non-free, I'll make sure the vote is organized so
> that we can settle on this issue once for all.

I don't think it would be "relaunching" it, but bringing a "democratic"
end to a big controversy. I know many of the proposers were very
disatisfied with the conclusion of the debate, as we failed to vote on
it.

> >   What would you do to solve the ambiguities that were found in our
> >   Constitution during that debate?
> I'm sorry I don't remember what they were. Can you remember us ?

When CosmicRay submitted the non-free GR, many people interpreted
article 4.1.5 of the constitutions as if "non-technical documents" were
unmodifiable. With such interpretation, it was unconstitutional to
remove non-free from the archive as it's a part of Debian defined in the
Social Contract. To clarify this, Branden Robinson proposed a simple
change to the constitution (see <http://www.debian.org/vote/2000/vote_0009>),
and Majon Srivastava proposed a change in the same direction, that
required a bigger majority to be able to change "foundational
documents". We never got to vote these either.

This situation made me think there was a big problem with our voting
system, as a proposal like the non-free one could be blocked by
different interpretations of our Constitution.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || jordi@sindominio.net      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E