Re: Nov 19 draft of voting amendment

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:30:54AM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Anthony Towns:
> > For concreteness, here's what I think we should be doing:
> >
> I like. One minor nit:
>
> >      1. Each voter's ballot ranks the options being voted on.  Not
> > 	all options need be ranked.
>
> Giving the same rank to more than one option is permitted.

I think Anthony may be trying to leave that to the discretion of the
person preparing the ballot (the Project Secretary).

If so, I disagree with that.  I think we should mandate that ballots
must permit appication of the same rank to multiple options.

> >      "RATIONALE": Voters should rank the options they prefer in the
> >      order that they prefer them, ranking the default option higher
> >      than any options they believe are unacceptable. If they believe
> >      the current situation is superior to any of the proposed changes,
> >      they should propose or second an amendment that simply preserves
> >      the status-quo, and only rank options they find unacceptable below
> >      the default option.
> >
> s/amendment/option/ ?

No, voters propose General Resolutions and amendments thereto, not
ballot options per se.

It is the job of the Project Secretary to prepare the ballot.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The key to being a Southern
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Baptist: It ain't a sin if you