Re: Adding jwhois package to volatile?

Martin Zobel-Helas:

* You make changes on the build-system i consider as not necessary.
* You bump the Standards-Version number.
* You change the license text of your package
* You change (build)dependencies.

This is because I re-generated the debian directory for the upstream package (I am also the upstream developer for this), and I thought it was easier to just dump this into the new package for volatile. These changes aren't important, I can remove them.

* You close _23_! bugs with "Updated default configuration." in
  debian/changelog.

These are the important changes. All of them are one-line changes (or maybe two-line, but those are rare) changes to the jwhois.conf file. These bugs were already closed, most of them in a version that I had already targetted for Sarge, but which for some reason never transitioned over into testing in the couple of months it lived in unstable before the release. Some are changes that were added post-Sarge.

I know that "Updated default configuration" isn't a very descriptive changelog entry, but the other alternative is to repeat the bug titles, and I would prefer not to do that.

This looks more like a complete new version which is just packported to sarge.

Partially, yes, but there are no code changes, only configuration changes.

And by the way, why do you depend on dpkg? You do not need to depend on essential packages.

It's a versioned depends. It all comes from a misunderstanding in an old package version that I neede to undo. I am planning on removing some of the "must fix my stupid mistake on upgrade" in a later version.

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/