Re: Adding jwhois package to volatile?

Hi Peter,

On Monday, 01 Aug 2005, you wrote:
> Peter Karlsson:
>
> >>Do you mind to send us a unified diff of your proposed update?
> >
> >I have put together a 3.2.2-4 version of jwhois here:
> >http://people.debian.org/~peterk/volatile/sarge/jwhois/ (not apt-get-able,
> >need to do my homework on how to enable that).
> >
> >It basically includes all the configuration updates from the latest jwhois
> >release for unstable, but none of the source changes.
>
> Ping to this? Does anyone have any opinion on adding this package?

I did a review on your package and came to the conclusion that I
personaly would reject the package in this form to be uploaded to volatile.
This is _not_ a reject, it is my personal opinion.

I would mainly reject it for the reason that the changes you made are
not as minimal as they could be.

Here comes a detailed overview:

 * You make changes on the build-system i consider as not necessary.
 * You bump the Standards-Version number.
 * You change the license text of your package
 * You close _23_! bugs with "Updated default configuration." in
   debian/changelog.
 * You change (build)dependencies.

This looks more like a complete new version which is just packported to
sarge.

Please keep changes on packages as minimal as needed, if you want a
package to be included into volatile (only essential changes).

And by the way, why do you depend on dpkg? You do not need to depend on
essential packages.

Greetings
Martin

--