selinux on bookworm

Hello,

I'm trying to get selinux working on a fresh, gui-free installation of
bookworm.  I'm not trying to run any servers, nor use standard desktop
utilities (yet).  I was hoping this setup would be simple enough that
selinux would be simple to get going.

I'm following [1], which is very straightforward.  The problem I'm
getting is that it seems woefully incomplete.

I cannot even login (com="agetty" is showing up in audit2why).  Now,
obviously, I could follow the instructions and use audit2allow, and go
down the rabbit hole for configuring policies.  But, really?  No one
has fixed the login-at-the-console use case?  I'm sure I must be doing
something wrong.  All I've really done is:

apt-get install selinux-basics selinux-policy-default auditd
selinux-activate

(reboot)

(set enforcing=1 in grub)
update-grub
touch /.autorelabel

(reboot)

And then I cannot log in.  Going back and unsetting enforcing=1 in grub,
and I can use audit2why.  Does anyone who actually uses selinux have any
hints?

Best,
Antonio

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SELinux/Setup