Re: Lightweight Emacs for container?

On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 6:45 PM Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum <bg271828@yahoo.com> wrote:
I usually use Emacs on full-blown Debian distributions, so I don't pay much attention to how large it is. But I'm now starting to
play around with lightweight LXC containers, obviously headless, and would like to keep using Emacs in these, but just for basic
text editing and so forth, I don't need a whole IDE environment. But to my surprise, even emacs-nox is a gigantic installation,
that even wants to pull in MySQL, for heaven's sake.

Is there some package, or a simple workaround, that will allow me to use a basic Emacs without all the cruft?

To expand on what Stefan said, see <https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsImplementations>.

And you can build it from sources, and really leave out the stuff you don't want: <https://superuser.com/q/617468>.

Jeff