Re: Bookworm's /etc/mailcap seems to break s-nail

On 2024-05-06 15:27, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 02:53:10PM +0200, Jesper Dybdal wrote:
I use s-nail as my mailx command (selected using the Debian "alternatives"
mechanism).

Since I upgraded from Bullseye to Bookworm, s-nail now shows a bunch of
error messages in connection with viewing messages.  Here is a sample:
s-nail: $MAILCAPS: /etc/mailcap: x-scheme-handler/mailto: ignored
unknown string/command: u = \\${u//\\\\\\"/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"}
s-nail: $MAILCAPS: /etc/mailcap: text/english: ignored unknown
string/command: then exec emacsclient --alternate-editor =
--display=\\"\\$DISPLAY\\" \\"\\$@\\"
I don't have lines like this in mine.  Then again, I don't have emacs
installed.

The question (one of the questions) is what's putting them there, and I
would guess one of the emacs packages is doing it.
I have no particular wish to learn about /etc/mailcap.  The only way I've
found to avoid this is to remove the /etc/mailcap file entirely.

I would think deleting any lines containing "emacs" would be slightly
less invasive.  Obviously, make a backup copy of the file first.
That might be an excellent idea.  I've removed all lines with "emacsclient" (there were also some with "emacs", but not "emacsclient"), and the error messages have disappeared.  Since I only use s-nail rarely. it may be a while before I know whether that removal also has negative consequences.

Thanks a lot, Greg!

--
Jesper Dybdal
https://www.dybdal.dk