Re: Bookworm's /etc/mailcap seems to break s-nail

On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 02:53:10PM +0200, Jesper Dybdal wrote:
> I use s-nail as my mailx command (selected using the Debian "alternatives"
> mechanism).
>
> Since I upgraded from Bullseye to Bookworm, s-nail now shows a bunch of
> error messages in connection with viewing messages.  Here is a sample:
> > s-nail: $MAILCAPS: /etc/mailcap: x-scheme-handler/mailto: ignored
> > unknown string/command: u = \\${u//\\\\\\"/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"}
> > s-nail: $MAILCAPS: /etc/mailcap: text/english: ignored unknown
> > string/command: then exec emacsclient --alternate-editor =
> > --display=\\"\\$DISPLAY\\" \\"\\$@\\"

I don't have lines like this in mine.  Then again, I don't have emacs
installed.

The question (one of the questions) is what's putting them there, and I
would guess one of the emacs packages is doing it.

> I have no particular wish to learn about /etc/mailcap.  The only way I've
> found to avoid this is to remove the /etc/mailcap file entirely.

I would think deleting any lines containing "emacs" would be slightly
less invasive.  Obviously, make a backup copy of the file first.