Re: Zutty fonts - zutty always uses the same font and fontsize

On Thu, May 02, 2024 at 09:34:13AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 01/05/2024 21:58, Sirius wrote:
> >
> > I was right about .Xresources that it is one of the files used for loading
> > settings into the X server, but urxvt looks at .Xdefaults instead.
>
> It is a bit strange. Applications should not read these files directly.
> Content should be loaded during X session startup, see
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources
>
> After modification of .Xresources it is necessary to invoke xrdb(1).

I'm not sure about rxvt-unicode, but the original rxvt definitely
worked that way.  This was part of the lightweight design of rxvt.
The author didn't want the bloat involved in reading the X resource
database, so he chose to read the source files directly.

According to <https://linux.die.net/man/1/rxvt>:

  RESOURCES (available also as long-options)

  Note: 'rxvt --help' gives a list of all resources (long options)
  compiled into your version. If compiled with internal Xresources
  support (i.e. rxvt -h lists .Xdefaults) then rxvt accepts application
  defaults set in XAPPLOADDIR/Rxvt (compile-time defined: usually
  /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt) and resources set in ~/.Xdefaults,
  or ~/.Xresources if ~/.Xdefaults does not exist.

The corresponding section of the rxvt-unicode man page (in Debian 12)
is a bit confusing to me:

       You can set and change the resources using X11 tools like xrdb. Many
       distribution do also load settings from the ~/.Xresources file when X
       starts. urxvt will consult the following files/resources in order, with
       later settings overwriting earlier ones:

         1. app-defaults file in $XAPPLRESDIR
         2. $HOME/.Xdefaults
         3. RESOURCE_MANAGER property on root-window of screen 0
         4. SCREEN_RESOURCES property on root-window of the current screen
         5. $XENVIRONMENT file OR $HOME/.Xdefaults-<nodename>
         6. resources specified via -xrm on the commandline

It says you can use xrdb, but then lists the places it looks, and that
list does not include xrdb(?).  I don't understand what this means.