Re: ntpsec as server questions

On 12/4/23 11:34, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Dec 04, 2023 at 10:55:47AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
root@mkspi:/etc# chronyc sources
210 Number of sources = 1
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample

^* coyote.coyote.den             2   6    17    42    -22us[  -25us] +/-
41ms

I've never used chrony, but that looks good at first glance.

root@mkspi:/etc# date
Mon 04 Dec 2023 07:34:59 AM PST
its 10:35 here, still 3 hours off.

The time is *correct*, it's just being reported for a different time
zone than you want.

So here on coyote: date -u:
Mon Dec  4 15:47:44 UTC 2023
but on mkspi: date -u:
Mon 04 Dec 2023 03:47:16 PM UTC

Again, both correct.

WTH?  Where is that false 12 hour offset coming from?

There is no 12 hour offset.  One is being reported in 24-hour time, and
the other in 12-hour time (it says "PM"), because of different locale
definitions.

All you need to do is change your system's default time zone, which on
Debian involves changing the *file* /etc/timezone and the *symlink*
/etc/localtime.  Both are required, because some programs use one and
some use the other.

We've said this in like 3 other emails so far.

True, but I don't recall /etc/localtime until today. I thank you again.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis