Re: package managers problem

On 6/20/23 00:32, Anders Andersson wrote:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 5:38 AM gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

On 6/19/23 22:41, paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 03:58:18 +0200
Anders Andersson <pipatron@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

I've been watching this thread from afar for a while and it still
puzzles me why people keep bringing up wayland. I've been running
wayland for years, and synaptic works with no issues as far as I can
tell. Is this just FUD from a user that never tried it or is something
broken on that user's system?

A couple of years ago, I switched to Wayland temporarily and was unable
to run Synaptic (with an error message). The phenomenon is real. I
don't know how you manage it. But I don't recall anyone on this thread
besides you claiming it could be done.

Paul

I'm with you Paul, if Anders know how to do it, please PUBLISH the how.
For a while on bullseye, a "sudo -E synaptic" worked, then even that
died mid-bullseye, somebody plugged a perceived hole and didn't bother
to mention it to the many thousands of users.

There's really nothing to publish. I started synaptic from my desktop
environment using the default icon installed by the debian package. No
weird "sudo" incantations. It asks my password and then starts up.

from an xfce4 terminal shell, it bitches about wayland and exits, from the pulldown menu's it asks for a passwd with a much bigger passwd requester and when I enter my sudo pw it silently goes away. It does not run here,

why?

And when I ask why, everyone takes me to task for trying to run the only package manager that works and has decent search function. What desktop are you running? I'm xfce4 here.

Since I normally don't use Synaptic and have not started it in years
as far as I can remember, I have not configured it to do anything
special. As demonstrated by Didier Gaumet in this thread it works by
default on a fresh install of debian stable.

This is a fresh install of bullseye a week back now. All up to date.

All the bugs I find online are from the time before bullseye.

Thank you, take care and stay well Anders.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis