Re: package managers problem

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 3:13 AM gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
On 6/20/23 00:20, Felix Miata wrote:
> gene heskett composed on 2023-06-19 23:37 (UTC-0400):
>
>> paulf@q... wrote

>>> A couple of years ago, I switched to Wayland temporarily and was unable
>>> to run Synaptic (with an error message). The phenomenon is real. I
>>> don't know how you manage it. But I don't recall anyone on this thread
>>> besides you claiming it could be done.
>
>> I'm with you Paul, if Anders know how to do it, please PUBLISH the how.
>> For a while on bullseye, a "sudo -E synaptic" worked, then even that
>> died mid-bullseye, somebody plugged a perceived hole and didn't bother
>> to mention it to the many thousands of users.
>
> Why is it Gene thinks any trouble he has has anything to do with Wayland? XFCE
> doesn't run in Wayland. The only Wayland XFCE users must have is the foundation
> Wayland requires from Xorg, which no one can be rid of (nor need to), except by
> running an ancient distro from before Wayland support was stuffed into Xorg, or by
> running MacOS, BSD, OS/2, Unix or Windows.

That needs a better explanation, Felix. As I see it, wayland can't run
as root, so no app that needs root works with wayland. Since package
managers with a gui need wayland, all the package managers that do have
a gui, are now dead except gnome packages, a poor but usable substitute
whose search function seems broken to me.

KDE Plasma Discover works fine on Wayland. I use it regularly to locate software I want to install.

The only way I've found to run
aptitude is as text with the safe-upgrade option turned on, and this is
well tested here on arm64's, but I still don't trust it on x86, its gone
wild with no way to stop it on x86, tearing down the system to the point
of having to re-install. I've run it on wintel stuff maybe 12 times, but
touching the g key has equaled a reinstall every time. It does NOT
preview what its going to do, it just does it. 4 times now. That's why I
asked if it had been tamed.

Take care and stay well Felix.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)