Re: Debian home page -> Download link broken:

On Sun, 2023-06-11 at 15:24 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 2:12 AM Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2023-06-10 at 23:55 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > > Debian's wiki says to use apt-get:
> > > https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUpgrade. Also see
> > > https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/uptodate.html .
> > >
> > > Maybe it's time for a complete refresh of those documents.
> >
> > Or maybe the wiki page should be deleted, or just say go RTFM, i.e.
> > read the release notes for the release you want to upgrade to.
>
> Tixy, I checked the manual at
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/sect.apt-get.en.html
> . I cannot find the requirement to run 'apt upgrade'.
>
> Can you provide a reference, please?

Sorry, I was referring to the release notes [1] not the Debian
Handbook.

I must admit that I didn't read the Wiki before now and to be fair it
does say at the beginning to go read the release notes before going on
to summarise the commands that you may need just using 'apt-get'.
Note that release notes for the past two releases say to use the 'apt'
command for everything, e.g.:

apt update
apt upgrade --without-new-pkgs
apt full-upgrade

And for making space and cleaning up:

apt autoremove
apt clean

I also see that the Debian Handbook says that before starting APT
related work to use 'apt update' and the release notes points out the
issue [2] that users of apt-get may need --allow-releaseinfo-change.

[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#minimal-upgrade
[2] https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#updating-lists

--
Tixy