Re: "Bug" in Debian Installer?

On 4/16/23 22:08, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 17/04/2023 09:18, David Christensen wrote:
On 4/16/23 03:41, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 16/04/2023 05:51, David Christensen wrote:
When I moved the 2.5" SATA SSD to a homebrew Intel DQ67SW computer and configured BIOS Setup:

     "Boot" -> "UEFI Boot" -> "Enable"

The SSD would not boot.

New boot entry usually should be created in such case from EFI Shell,

I have realized that you may be confused by difference of MBR vs. UEFI behavior. For MBR it is enough to choose a disk to boot in BIOS, for UEFI it is necessary to add boot entries through EFI variables in firmware. Boot entry consists of disk, partition (EFI System partition) and path of an .efi file on this partition.

If so, you may suggest an additional subsection to
https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#Troubleshooting_common_issues

Are you saying that d-i modifies the CMOS settings of UEFI computers?

I later discovered that the first install created a directory and put files into the Dell's ESP (!).  I did not select this, nor do I desire it.  This is a defect with d-i:

Why do you think it is wrong?

Because OS installers should not modify a disk unless the user authorizes it.

I agree if a computer is booted into MBR/BIOS/Compatibility mode or if expert install is selected. For regular UEFI install it is a trade-off since multiple OS loaders may coexist without conflicts. User should be asked if new OS should be booted by default (BootOrder), adding files to ESP is quite safe.

d-i should always ask before writing to disk.

Here are my notes from a debian-9.9.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1 install on February 2, 2020:

     Install GRUB into master boot record        Yes
     Device                                      /dev/sda

That was the proper way to do it.

Am I right that it was not UEFI install? Certainly overwriting of MBR must be acknowledged by the user.

The point is that d-i asked before writing to disk.

David