Re: "Bug" in Debian Installer?

On 4/16/23 03:41, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 16/04/2023 05:51, David Christensen wrote:
I installed a 2.5" SATA SSD, inserted a debian-11.6.0-amd64-netinst CD, booted the CD, and installed Debian:

     "Debian GNU/Linux UEFI Installer menu" -> "Install"
     "Partitioning method" -> "Manual" -> <2.5" SATA SSD>

Perhaps at this point installer detected EFI system partition that was used to install grub:

In the past, d-i "Install" would prompt me regarding GRUB.  This time, it did not.
When I moved the 2.5" SATA SSD to a homebrew Intel DQ67SW computer and configured BIOS Setup:

     "Boot" -> "UEFI Boot" -> "Enable"

The SSD would not boot.

New boot entry usually should be created in such case from EFI Shell, by efibootmgr, etc. Some firmware allows to choose an .efi file (EFI/debian/shimx64.efi) to boot. I do not remember which grub or shim script creates EFI boot entry.

I later discovered that the first install created a directory and put files into the Dell's ESP (!).  I did not select this, nor do I desire it.  This is a defect with d-i:

Why do you think it is wrong?

Because OS installers should not modify a disk unless the user authorizes it.

Here are my notes from a debian-9.9.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1 install on February 2, 2020:

    Install GRUB into master boot record        Yes
    Device                                      /dev/sda

That was the proper way to do it.

David