Re: Email submission. Was Re: https://<FQDN>:<port> vs. https://<IP address>:<port>.

On Sat 15 Apr 2023 at 09:32:34 (-0700), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>     From: David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
>     Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 22:40:21 -0500
> > I notice that 2096 is often a webmail port. Does that mean you've
> > given up on sending emails by their submission port?
>
> Submitting messages by the Web interface only until exim works.  =8~/
> Certainly submission via exim is a better option.
>
> > Your emails on this topic suddenly stopped after March 26.
>
> After switching to a new smarthost, exim still has me stumped.  =8~/
> Switched to the exim-users list for more focused help.

AFAICT I got no response to my suggestion that you add a configuration
line to /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated as Debian didn't support
what you were doing through and environment variable.

And in turn, this reply doesn't contain any feedback to my suggestion
of installing the backported exim, which claims to support tls on connect.

So I can't help you much, because I don't have access to any
submission port that uses TLS in that manner. (I only have
access to two hosts.)

> $ cat /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf | tail -n 15

And I don't think I can help you any more here either. I'm not
an exim expert, nor a Debian/exim expert. I would warn though
about the fact that not all exim-users list users will be well
acquainted with Debian's exim configuration either.

My only remaining advice is to try everything on every port.
Frequently, one particular method is advertised, but the software
may allow other protocols/methods too. For example, the SMTP
port and commands that mutt sends my posts with is quite different
from those used by my hand-crafted automated emails (same hosts).

> The debug log from
> "exim -d+all+noutf8 me@anaccessibledomain ..." is in
> http://easthope.ca/ex1 .  Many lines mention "retry" and I don't
> understand the snag there.  Ideas welcome.
>
> Not as interesting as an issue of _National_Geographic_.  Explanatory
> headings could help more.

I don't recall ever seeing a debug message with a heading.

> Incidentally, in Debian 11, POP3 works via stunnel.  The only
> difficulty is to automate stunnel startup for non-inetd operation.
> Start stunnel at boot up.

POP3 is for incoming, is it not? I've never seen anything to be gained
from comparing incoming and outgoing email configurations.

> "man stunnel" mentions "delay DNS lookup for connect option".  No
> effect here.
>
> "@reboot root stunnel" in /etc/crontab starts a process after which
> the MUA reports "No connection".
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Pan advises "ENABLED=1" in
> /etc/default/stunnel4. No stunnel process results.  =8~/

That seems to be moving on to newsreaders. ?

Cheers,
David.