Re: debian-user list info and guidelines (FAQ) - posted monthly

On 2021-08-06 at 07:28, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 06:54:53AM -0400, Polyna-Maude
> Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> [...]
>
>> Maybe this is obvious for you, but for myself, I don't take note
>> of who's "on the list" and "who's not" [...]
>
> Easy: if the message comes from the list, reply goes to the list.
> Your MUA should be able to help you with that, if it's worth its
> salt.

I get enough accidental direct replies (proportionally speaking, anyway)
that I don't consider this practical. There are too many times when a
reply that was sent privately *should* have gone via the list, and so
the reply to that should go in turn back to the list.

(Which in turn happens because of the whole Reply-To-header argument
thing, and everything around it which I don't want to spark off again
now...)

That said, there are definitely times when it's clear whether a direct
reply was unintentional vs. not, and outside of special circumstances
the ones intentionally sent off-list should be kept that way without
mutual agreement.

--
   The Wanderer