Re: debian-user list info and guidelines (FAQ) - posted monthly

Hi,

On 2021-08-06 5:25 a.m., Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 09:21:11PM -0400, Polyna-Maude
> Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>> I don't see how it would be possible to ban a user on a open mailing
>> list that anyone can write to (without being registered).
>
> It is possible, although pretty rare. One person who was banned from
> this list a long time ago remains banned today, but I've seen that they
> sometimes reply privately to people's posts on the list. In fact, this
> person did so, to *you*, and I only found out about it because you
> accidentally replied to their mail, back to the list.

Maybe this is obvious for you, but for myself, I don't take note of
who's "on the list" and "who's not". So if someone reply to me regarding
a message that was posted on the list, there's pretty good chance that
I'll reply "on the list".

This list is "unmoderated" and if better access control is needed then
maybe it would be time to change how it works. For example, limiting
posting to people registered would be a pretty good idea.

It would also solve the problem of people using the list to spam about
dating site or offering different services.

But is this really a big problem ?

Pretty sure it's more time consuming to write this message than to deal
with it. This list has more than 30 thousands subscriber and only a
handful of banning, at most.

We are far from the percentage of SPAM a usual mailbox may get...

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside