Re: Question on dpkg -l output.

Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:

> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>> On 21 de dezembro de 2018 20:24, aprekates wrote:
>> > In a new installed system with Debian 9.6
>> >
>> > $ dpkg -l
>> >
>> > will list only packages with 'ii' state and a couple of 'rc'.
>> >
>> > But if i  run:
>> >
>> > $ dpkg -l w*
>> >
>> > i will get a dozen also of 'un' packages.
>> >
>> > So i dont understand the logic of altering the output when
>> > i use a pattern . I would expect to see only 'ii' packages starting
>> > from the letter 'w' .
>> >
>> > Also i dont understand why in a new system dpkg would know
>> > anything about uninstalled packages!
>>
>> dpkg -l w*
>> will be expanded by the shell (if there is any file starting with w in the current directory).
>>
>> Have you tried
>> dpkg -l 'w*'
>
> Let's see:
>
> dpkg -l w*
> dpkg-query: no packages found matching webplot.txt

<snip>

It's important to keep in mind that if there are no files matching the
wildcard expansion, the w* is passed as-is to the command.  So if I
create an empty directory, enter the directory, and

snowball:525$ dpkg -l w*

||/ Name                         Version              Architecture Description
un  w-bassman                    <none>               <none>       (no descripti
<long list snipped>

snowball:525$ touch w
snowball:526$ dpkg -l w*
dpkg-query: no packages found matching w

Yes, the OP does want in general to escape the w* as 'w*' (or other
methods), but his output is completely reasonable, especially in a fresh
install