Re: Question on dpkg -l output.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On 21 de dezembro de 2018 20:24, aprekates wrote:
> > In a new installed system with Debian 9.6
> >
> > $ dpkg -l
> >
> > will list only packages with 'ii' state and a couple of 'rc'.
> >
> > But if i  run:
> >
> > $ dpkg -l w*
> >
> > i will get a dozen also of 'un' packages.
> >
> > So i dont understand the logic of altering the output when
> > i use a pattern . I would expect to see only 'ii' packages starting
> > from the letter 'w' .
> >
> > Also i dont understand why in a new system dpkg would know
> > anything about uninstalled packages!
>
> dpkg -l w*
> will be expanded by the shell (if there is any file starting with w in the current directory).
>
> Have you tried
> dpkg -l 'w*'

Let's see:

dpkg -l w*
dpkg-query: no packages found matching webplot.txt

dpkg -l 'w*'

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
un  w-bassman      <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
ii  w3m            0.5.3-34+deb amd64        WWW browsable pager
with excellen
un  w3m-el         <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
un  w3m-img        <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
un  w3m-ssl        <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
un  w3mmee         <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
un  wacom-tools    <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
un  wajig          <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
ii  wamerican      7.1-1        all          American English
dictionary words
un  watch          <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
un  watchdog       <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
un  wbritish       <none>       <none>       (no description
available)
un  wdiff          <none>       <none>       (no description
available)

-dsr-