Re: hammerfall help request

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:12:22AM +0000, Glenn English wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 11:09 PM, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Unmute and adjust signal levels
> >
> >     alsamixer -c 2
>
> Comes up in curses with the RME selected and a single slider: DDS
> Samp. I raised that a couple steps with the 'up-arrow' button and
> exited.
>
> > Test playback
> >
> >     aplay -D hw:2,0 testfile.wav
>
> There is no testfile.wav, so I gave it one of mine:
>
> root@sbox:~# aplay -D hw:2,0
> /blackHole/cdp/BeethovenSix/source_dir/disk001/track02.cdda.wav
> Playing WAVE '/blackHole/cdp/BeethovenSix/source_dir/disk001/track02.cdda.wav'
> : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> aplay: set_params:1334: Access type not available

Hmmm.

> Went into HDSPmixer and set it to preset 2 (like I did before to get
> the 'phones to work) and tried again. Still nothing. Files like this
> have worked before, in Audacity.

Looks like you may have to dig into the documentation. This
is a professional card, with some special capabilities
and complexities.

I also suggest you search the Linux Audio Users mailing list
archives. It's an excellent resource for any Linux audio
issues.

> Not sure what aplay means by 'Access type not available' so I looked
> on the web. I still don't.
>
> But 'aplay -L' says, about the RME:
>
> default:CARD=DSP
>     Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632
>     Default Audio Device
> sysdefault:CARD=DSP
>     Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632
>     Default Audio Device
> dmix:CARD=DSP,DEV=0
>     Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632
>     Direct sample mixing device
> dsnoop:CARD=DSP,DEV=0
>     Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632
>     Direct sample snooping device
> hw:CARD=DSP,DEV=0
>     Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632
>     Direct hardware device without any conversions
> plughw:CARD=DSP,DEV=0
>     Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632
>     Hardware device with all software conversions
>
> if that's any help.

The items are audio devices that can be used as
a -D argument to aplay.

--
Joel Roth