hammerfall help request

Buster, RME Hammerfall, Supermicro box

I can't get my RME Hammerfall sound card to make noise in the
headphones. It did a few weeks ago with pretty much the same hardware
and pretty much the same OS.

I replaced the DDR3 1066 RAM with DDR3 1333, and I updated Buster.

I've tried to do what I did before to get the RME going, but either I
can't remember what I did or something has changed so it doesn't work
anymore (I doubt it).

lspci sees the card, as does alsamixer and the HDSP utilities in
XFCE's multimedia menu (HDSPmixer and HDSPconf):

root@sbox:~# lspci | egrep -i hammerfall
02:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall
DSP (rev 97)

If I open an audio file in Audacity, I see the 'meters' bounce, but
there's nothing in the 'phones.

I've looked at everything I can find on the web and done what they
suggest. I've installed modules and listed them -- they all seem to be
there:

root@sbox:~# cat /proc/modules | egrep hdsp
snd_hdsp 69632 0 - Live 0xffffffffc0997000
snd_rawmidi 40960 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_hdsp, Live 0xffffffffc08b8000
snd_hwdep 20480 2 snd_hdsp,snd_hda_codec, Live 0xffffffffc073c000
snd_pcm 118784 5
snd_hdsp,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core,
Live 0xffffffffc0922000
snd 94208 17 snd_seq,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hdsp,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer,
Live 0xffffffffc0895000

And I've checked to make sure the 'phones are plugged in. Looks OK,
but I think I remember hearing small clicks when I plugged them in
before. All quiet now. Even if I'm remembering correctly, the lack of
clicks could be due to having something set wrong.

I really think there's something I haven't done, but I can't figure
out what. Anybody have any ideas?

--
Glenn English