Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 07:03:29PM -0400, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

... mighty fine list you've got there - mailing lists are even better
than I thought they were.

> 19. Mailing lists interoperate.  I can easily forward a message from this
> list to another one.  Or to a person.  I can send a message to multiple
> lists.  I can forward a message from a person to this list.  And so on.
> Try doing this with web forum software A on host B with destinations
> web forum software X and Y on hosts X1 and Y1.  Good luck with that.

Oh come on - this one's a no-brainer on the web - you click the Like
button on the website, which takes you to a "Share with friend", and
if it doesn't then see if there's a "Tweet" button and click that.

Then all you have to do is log into your Facebook account and upload
a photo of the latte coffee art you just purchased - to make sure the
target of your message takes interest in this post on your wall.

If your forwardee friend fails to notice your fine coffee art photo,
simply create a new Facebook group for them to join called
"MyDebianPrinterProblemForJohn" or something, and then log into that
group and send an invite to your friend, tweet that you've created
the group, hope the tweet helps massage your tech cred daily profile,
tumblr the coffee art and send a reply to the mailing list with links
to the above if all else fails.

It's like, not exactly, like hard or anything. Like.

> 20. Mailing lists can be uni- or bidirectionally gatewayed to Usenet.
> (The main Python language mailing list is an example of this.)  This can
> be highly useful.
>
> There's more, but I think this easily suffices to make a slamdunk case.

Except for the clear superiority of the web uptions above.

<ahem>