Re: arm people distributing images with user 1000 already allocated, please stop that

On Friday 02 December 2016 06:16:31 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 06:06:34PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 December 2016 15:30:12 emetib wrote:
>
> [use sudo]
>
> > The last time I tried that, some years ago, it demanded the old
> > passwd first. I think that was about Red Hat 7.1's day. I'd been
> > using it since 1998 and 5.0.
> >
> > > i hope that this helps some for future reference.
> >
> > If no pw is needed, great.
>
> `passwd` invoked as the root user does not require you to provide the
> current password. You can set the password for any user, including the
> default user of root. So you would need to invoke 'sudo passwd' to
> change/set the root password without being prompted for the existing
> one.

That policy has been changed then. Its been quite some time, possibly a
decade or more since I have attempted that procedure. The last time I
tried that, I was asked for the old password, and having forgotten it,
was refused. I wound up taking that drive to another machine and
removing the root pw in both passwd and shadow files.  Then I could set
a new one and did when the drive was re-installed in the machine it ran.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)