Re: arm people distributing images with user 1000 already allocated, please stop that

On Friday 02 December 2016 06:14:34 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> From what I recall, raspbian's default user is in the sudoers file by
> default too.

Of course it is, Jonathon, but I am the user that counts, and adding me
to the sudoers and the sudo group still does not get me rights to run
any graphical package manager safe to use, like synaptic, because
something, I believe to be in polkit1 overrides the sudo and asks for
the unk root pw. My grepping thru that area of /etc has not found te
responsible file however.  I have fixed that by mounting the card on
this machine and nuking the root pw'd x, than back into the pi and
setting a new pw that I know.  But while I have 18 years of putzing with
linux, I most assuredly would not recommend that exotic a fix to be done
by a windows escapee.

The paranoia exhibited by such actions indicates an excess of holier then
thou attitudes and needs to be called out as totally un-acceptable to
the savvy user who is convinced the machine is his, and wants to make it
do as he pleases.  IMO that level of paranoia has no place in the open
source arena.  So I'm up on my high horse calling the vendors doing that
out. These people are, IMNSHO, giving debian a bad user experience that
does not have to be, and that should not be laid on your doorstep, but
theirs.

I should clarify that I've had no such problems with your own
distributions running on x86 hardware, but all of my machinery running
machines are still on wheezy, as is this one just to be 100% compatible,
and will continue to be until such time as the security updates cease.
It Just Works. Converting to jessie is a pretty long step, and with the
non-stability of systemd tossed in, which has the possibility of
wrecking a part you've already sunk a thou$and in time and materials
into while completeing it this far, litterally on the final finish cut
to final micron accurate size, is subject to us finding a fix BEFORE we
start making the next copy. That WILL be done even if we have to build
our own kernels as we've been doing for 15+ years now. However, applying
the rtai patch kit to get the IRQ response times this software needs,
has gotten progressively more difficult. To have kernel 4.4.34-v7+ #930
SMP run it on the arm was a very pleasant surprise as the later x86
kernels have worse and worse latency.

I'll get me coat now, I've said my piece.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)