Re: Debian Wheezy Compromised - www-data user is sending 1000 emails an hour

>     Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>     > Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>     > > Again, the www-data user can safely be the owner of everything
>     in the
>     > > webroot, just think of phpmyadmin, there's nothing unsafe in
>     www-data
>
>     The default for phpmyadmin is that the files are owned by root not
>     www-data.  If they were owned by www-data then they would be unsafe.
>     (If, and this is a hypothetical if, you told me the files were owned
>     by a special phpmyadmin-data account, then I would say okay too.
>     Because that is a different user from the www-data user.)
>

> phpmyadmin files can be safely owned by www-data with NO write
> permissions and you should explain why they are not.

If there is no write permission for www-data user (which of course
should be provided) than there is no reason to be the files in www-data
ownership.

The one thing you should provide that these files shouldn't be written
by www-data user (and the group which it belongs to). And the simplest
way to provide it is to change the ownership of the whole directory tree
to a user which is not www-data. (e.g with a chown -R ....) Of course
there can be other solutions too but they are more complicated. And if
you can choose between different solutions the simpler is the better.

--
--- Friczy ---
'Death is not a bug, it's a feature'