Re: Debian Wheezy Compromised - www-data user is sending 1000 emails an hour

2013/12/24 Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com>
On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:32:58 +0100
Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> The main point was that an attacker wrote a php script in the OP
> (wordpress? joomla?) theme folder and used this script to access sendmail
> executable (I wonder those file/folder ownership, root? www-data?).

Directory's owner is www-data, according to OP's mail. See:

And note that attacker could rewrite any php file where just as well.

So ownership to root does matter?

> It's a matter of who is allowed to do what on a dir/file basis.
> Someone should explain why it's safe using root as the owner of php scripts
> instead of an unprivileged user (with no write permission on dir/files).

You have a root account on every OS that counts. And if it does not
have a root account it's a toy OS anyway.

so your policy is to use root account for every task? Pure redmond style :-)

Using account other than www-data requires either:

a) Creating such account.

b) Using some account that is used to run other daemons in this OS.
And allowing such daemon overwrite php files is a potential security
hole by itself.

and again, does ownership to root matter when the script is running as apache user?

So, php files owned by root are convenience, nothing more.

...and it's not what is worth to do to keep things in their place/context.

/r