Re: Hardware Question about RAM and Capacitors

Am 13.12.2013 um 08:42 schrieb Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com>:

> On 12/12/2013 1:11 PM, Goren Buckwalk wrote:
>> I have a system with two AMD Athlon 2400 MP processors and the
>> motherboard has 4 slots for RAM.
>
> That makes this board ~10 years old.

Seems so. AFAIR I bought an 2400 XP(?) around 2004-2005.

Worked nice until last year, but it was not worth for me to reanimate after damage of the power supply.

[...]

> But given the cost of $25-30 and your time, the fact that recapping may
> not be a complete fix, and the gear is 10 years old, you may be better
> off buying new guts.  This seems to currently be the least expensive
> Newegg AMD based combo:

There is so much outsorted hardware from companies which geeks can get for free.

This year we sorted out a dozen of servers not worth to refurbish for a company.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer