Re: startx + ~/.xsession and no ~/.xinitrc, results in reduced functionality (xfce4, sid)

On 12/13/13, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu 12 Dec 2013 at 17:23:31 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
>> What seemed like a good idea, at, the, time ... is longer looking so
>> good. Any ideas why this odd behaviour would appear as it does?
>
> You could try following the advice given in
>
>    /usr/share/doc/xfce4-session/README.Debian

This is excellent advice.

Please Note: before these experiments, I simply had ~/.xinitrc, and
startx worked.

However, I was inspired by what is the new/current "debian way".

On a whim, I removed ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession and I have no ~/.xsessionrc .

So now things work as well as they did with ~/.xinitrc , but without
any ~/.x* files! This is good.

Clearly consolekit is started (logout, as well as reboot etc now
work), my keyboard shortcuts work etc.

This seems ideal - no per-user configuration, and it just works (TM)(C)(R).

Thanks
Zenaan