Re: Having weird seqfaults

On 12/12/13, Goren Buckwalk <goren.buckwalk@mail.com> wrote:
> But maybe someone can suggest a good place to discuss
> older PC hardware.

If trying to use debian on your hardware, this list is ok.

How old is the hardware? Ie if it's _very_ old, you might try an _old_
Debian distribution - just one possible line of testing.

Was it yours before? Ie, if yes, then the problem is "new" and more
likely software, if no, the problem is unknown?

> I am trying to rehab an older system, I just installed a fresh copy of
> wheezy using the LXDE boot CD. I am now keep getting segfaults when doing
> random things. The machine has 386megs of ram, and booted up the system is
> using about half of this at most. I was in the process of shutting unneeded
> services, etc to make it leaner when i first noticed the problem.

So just segfault when trying to run certain application(s)?
If you can consistently reproduce a segfault, then that is excellent
news - should be easier to debug.

Did you check the various logs immediately after the segfault? Eg:
cd /var/log
ls -lrt # most recent logs at bottom

> This problem is very frustrating, it seems to happen a lot when running the
> console and I hit tab to do file completion. In the gui doing some basic

Could be disk. Could be RAM. Could be something else. Possibly software.

To eliminate RAM, boot the install CD and run the memcheck option -
let it run for a few hours/ a few full cycles, and see if it crashes
or says your RAM has faults.

Just re-seating your RAM can sometimes fix RAM problem.

> things causes it (like adding a couple of apps to the launcher, but running
> a browser like midori doesn't cause a problem.

Do you consistently, or just randomly, get segfault when running those apps?

Good luck
Zenaan