Having weird seqfaults

Sorry if this is off topic, being (i think) more of a hardware issue than a software problem. But maybe someone can suggest a good place to discuss older PC hardware.

I am trying to rehab an older system, I just installed a fresh copy of wheezy using the LXDE boot CD. I am now keep getting segfaults when doing random things. The machine has 386megs of ram, and booted up the system is using about half of this at most. I was in the process of shutting unneeded services, etc to make it leaner when i first noticed the problem. I just barely going on this so not much was done, mostly tweaking the appearance of the GUI. I do not think I had a chance to do anything wacky enough to cause this though.

This problem is very frustrating, it seems to happen a lot when running the console and I hit tab to do file completion. In the gui doing some basic things causes it (like adding a couple of apps to the launcher, but running a browser like midori doesn't cause a problem. It might be gtk related because I see references to gtklibs in a lot of segfaults in the logs.

My main question then is does this sound like a flaky hardware problem? Any thoughts on whether it would it be the processor, RAM or the motherboard? Thanks.