backup files, was: Re: Debianly Correct place to add ~/bin to $PATH ? a new problem

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 02:58:57PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> But I do have some strange files that I had notice for several months, namely
>
>  #.Xresources# #.muttrc# #test# and #x#
>
> The contents of #.Xresources# and #x# are X resource definitions, but
> there are conflicting emacs.geometry values in the two. #.muttrc# is a
> Mutt rc file with statements in it, which if executed by Mutt would
> completely screw up my current setup of Mutt. #test# is empty. Have
> you any idea where these came from? It appears to be an attempt at a
> new different way of planting configuration data on a per user basis.

They seem to be backup files. I've seen emacs create these for
instance. If I edit filename, and then exit without modifying it in
emacs, I'd end up with a #filename# file. I'd say they're safe to delete.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc