Re: Shutdown computer after a specific command has been executed

On Monday, December 09, 2013 03:56:12 PM Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> On 09/12/13 15:16, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Monday 09 December 2013 14:03:57 Muntasim-Ul-Haque wrote:
> >> I'm a Broadband Internet user and I'm billed for the time
> >> my Internet connection is active. Sometimes it happens that I've a
> >> large software to install like the TeXworks, which is about 650MB,
> >> I think. Or, the system up-gradation, if you may consider. In that
> >> case, that would take 6Hrs+ for my Internet connection.
> >
> > I'm puzzled.  How can broadband take six hours to do an upgrade?  I
> > would expect dial-up to do so, but broadband??
> >
> > I even looked in Wiktionary to see whether it was another word which
> > changes its meaning as it crosses the pond, but that appears not to
> > be the case. :-?
>
> I don't think he meant broadband. BB is always-on, and nobody gets
> charged by the minute. By the byte, more likely. Shutting down the
> computer won't disconnect the session.

This depends on the ISP. My ISP does flat fees for its standard connection. But
if you go for their "uber fantastic awesome uber uber great awesome uber"
plans they'll start charging for "overage" and usually set their cap
unreasonably low.

> Therefore one must conclude he's actually on dial-up, in which case both
> of his concerns (connect time and transmission rate) are valid.
>
> As someone else said, the sensible thing to do would be to drop theline,
> rather than kill the computer.

Conrad