Re: gdm3 issue

On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 19:25 +0530, Kailash Kalyani wrote:
> Thanks, I tried that using update-grub2 from my Debian install. That
> did not resolve the issue :(

JFTR did you install GRUB by Debian. If not, at least copy
the /boot/grub/grub.cfg to the Ubuntu install.

> I think it's a PAM issue with gdm - can't say if I'm making any sense,
> but I haven't found a explanation of how they hang together.

I don't know.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch4.en.html

But at least removing the Ubuntu kernel wouldn't cause to change
something for the Debian install.

You could take a look and/or post the /boot/grub/grub.cfg entry that is
used by grub to boot Debian, maybe there is a bad boot option.